Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 1-3)

We%26#39;ve been back for a week now and I%26#39;m still dreaming about Maui :) Thanks to this site, we got a lot of good ideas to help make our trip so wonderful.

Day 1 (8/22) - Landed in Maui at 1:45pm. We flew United from Chigago and the flight was good. Actually, it was not even half full so DH and I had a row of 5 seats to ourselves. Got our luggage and went to grab our rental car at Thrify only to find that DH%26#39;s license had expired! He was unaware and felt horrible. No biggie - I just got to do all the driving for the week. I%26#39;m not the best driver but I did ok ;) Drove to Ka%26#39;anapali and checked in at the Westin Resort. I%26#39;ll do a separate review on the hotel. Got settled and went for a walk to check everything out. Grabbed an early dinner at Leilani%26#39;s, walked around Whaler%26#39;s for a bit,got a $20 ice cream from Haagen Daaz (well, not quite but you know what I mean!), and went to bed. Leilani%26#39;s had a great view and the food was pretty good. We sat downstairs which is more casual. The mai tai%26#39;s were expecially yummy!

Day 2 (8/23) - Did the Haleakala sunrise. Getting up was not a problem b/c we were still on EST. I drove to the top with butterflies in my stomach the whole time!! I felt like I was in Mario Kart with all those switchbacks, but we made it in one piece. We got there about 5:15 and it was COLD and WINDY!! We were prepared though with our jeans/sweatshirts/ski hats and gloves. The sunrise was spectacular. I hightly recommend it...you just don%26#39;t see stuff like this in Ohio! Drove back down and stopped at the Kula Lodge for breakfast. Food was ok but the view was beautiful. Headed back to Ka%26#39;anapali. Stopped at Boss Frog%26#39;s to rent snorkel gear. We went with the top of the line stuff and it was $62 for both of us for the week - not too bad and we were very happy with the gear. We made it back to the hotel and changed into our swimsuits and decided to test out snorkeling at Black Rock. Wouldn%26#39;t you know it, not 2 minutes after we got in the water there was a sea turtle right next to me!! I cursed myself for forgetting the underwater camera in the room but no worries...we had all week :) We swam out a little further and saw two more turtles gliding along through the water! It was a great first snorkeling day. I did have some trouble exiting the water b/c it was pretty wavy and I got knocked down several times perhaps even losing part of my swimsuit at one point. DH was dying laughing and so was I by that point, but I eventually made it out. I feel horrible for what the poor children behind me witnessed!! Headed back to the hotel to hang out by the pool. I went to grab us a couple of mai tai%26#39;s and made a mental note that we would only be drinking cocktails at the hotel during happy hour after I purchased them($23 for 2 mai tai%26#39;s). We were prepared for the high prices, especially at the hotel, but it is still a little shocking.

Ate at Aloha Mixed Plate that night. Very good food and great mai tai%26#39;s!! Our entire dinner (2 mixed plates and 4 drinks) was only about $30. We ate during happy hour I think, but it was still a great deal and really great food. We walked around Lahaina for a bit and then went back to the hotel and passed out at 8:30!

Day 3(8/24) - Headed down to the Maui Prince to go to their champagne brunch. We had a great time and the brunch was excellent! Tons of different foods to try. Their banana mac pancakes were really good! It has a nice view and the staff was wonderful. After gorging ourselves, we walked around a bit and then checked out the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea. We were going to stay and snorkel, but decided to head back to Ka%26#39;anapali. We lounged by the pool/beach the rest of the day. That night, we ate at the Mai Tai Lounge for dinner. This was a neat little place - don%26#39;t let the jewelery store in the front discourage you from trying it! The food was great and the view was amazing. The mai tai%26#39;s were good - maybe a little sweet - but we really liked this place. I think it was about $65 for two entrees and two mai tai%26#39;s. Our waiter was awesome too.

Sorry this is so long - I hope you%26#39;re not too bored reading it!! I%26#39;ll post the rest of our trip soon.

Mahalo!

Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 1-3)

bored? No way - great report and good giggles! Sounds like you had a lot of fun, can%26#39;t wait for the remainder of you TR.

Now tell me where is the Mai Tai Lounge?

Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 1-3)

Very nice report Blondie! I can%26#39;t help but to feel that DH ';expired'; Lic was a ploy for you to drive, like when my bil says arriving at the golf course, ';I think I left my wallet';. (Wink)

Please, continue and tell us the rest of the story. I hope you didn%26#39;t scare the sea turtles falling down.

Hmm....there seems to be a deeply woven ';mai tai'; theme to your report! :)


Due to another TA poster%26#39;s recommendation (and where are you by the way?) I have the Mai Tai Lounge on my list of places to try in November. Love trying new places!

Thanks for the report!


Great report. We are going in November for the first time with our kids, so I appreciate the breakdown of the meal prices!


The Mai Tai Lounge is on the ocean side of Front Street in Lahaina. I think one of the reasons we liked it so much (besides the name which lured us in!) was that is was a very laid-back mellow place. I%26#39;ll continue my report tomorrow!


Aloha!

Keep it coming. I am enjoying the report!

Bryan Brown

BBrown9825@aol.com


Love your trip report. Can%26#39;t wait for more!

Thanks for the tip on the MaiTai Lounge. I looked at their web site and it looks awesome!

http://www.maitailounge.com/

Reasonable prices too!!


hi thanks makes me relive my memories too from my trip of 8/22-8/29 . sounds like we were there at the same time, i posted my review last week.. did you stay WOKR or just the Westin Hotel?

I am def going to keep mai tai Lounge in the back of my mind for the next time sounds nice , looks nice and menu sounds great


I am taking notes of where to go!!!

LOVE reading everyone%26#39;s trip reports!


rose - we stayed at the Westin Resort. It was very nice and I liked being by Whaler%26#39;s Village but we might opt for something a little more quiet when we return.

  • odp.net charakterset
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment