Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Which of these is the Best Luau to attend for adults

I have been reading comments after comments over which is ';the best'; Luau in Kauai. I read horror stories on most if not all Luau in Kauai. I am taking my parents to their first trip in Hawaii and I want to give thems the experience of a Luau.

These are most of the Luaus in Kauai. Can anyone who have experience some of these Luaus advise which one would be best to visit?

1. Sheraton Kauai Luau $75

2. Lu%26#39;au Kalamakū $95

3. Grand Hyatt Kauai Luau $75

4. Kauai Coconut Beach Luau $59

5. Pa%26#39;ina %26#39;O Hanalei $99

6. Smith%26#39;s Tropical Paradise $75

7. Gay Lord%26#39;s Luau Kalamaku $95

MAHALO!

Which of these is the Best Luau to attend for adults

Best is such a difficult term to pin down. I went to Smith;s with DW on 8/1/2008. Had a great time, we stayed in Kapaa and they offered pick up and drop off service from our resort.

Beautiful grounds upon which to walk, the Smith family were very pleasant hosts and we had a great time.

Food was good, not GREAT, but good. drinks were plentiful, 1st round of drinks were watered down due to having been pre-prepared and ice melting. best as I can recall, the 9th and 10th mai tais were outstanding.

the after dinner show was fun and a good display of dancing skill. was it authentic? how in the WORLD would I know? was it fun? without a doubt!

Which of these is the Best Luau to attend for adults

Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

When people ask me which lu%26#39;au to go to - I ALWAYS say the Smith%26#39;s Tropical Paradise Lu%26#39;au - why? Because it has been around for over 50 years - because it is run by the same family that started it and who are born and raised here on Kaua%26#39;i - and because it is set in beautiful tropical gardens that you can tour separately by admission, or go to free with the lu%26#39;au. As far as the food and drink - I believe that it is good and plentiful - I%26#39;ve heard no horror stories associated with either one.

As for the dancers - this is where I think Smith%26#39;s really shines - all the dancers are from local Kaua%26#39;i hula halau (hula schools) and they are all well trained and are very good at what they do - they present authentic dancers in hula kahiko (ancient hula), hula %26#39;auana (modern hula), tahitian otea and aparima, maori poi balls, as well as some seldom seem dances from the Phillipines and other Pacific Rim regions.

The show is less glitzy and vegas-style than some, which in my opinion is a good thing. The girls don%26#39;t have to wear inch thick pancake makeup, wigs and huge false eyelashes - what you see is closer to what a genuine lu%26#39;au is here - it is simply in my mind -more ';Kaua%26#39;i style'; and less ';Vegas'; style.

It very much depends on what you want - we have lots of glitzy high production value shows with gorgeous showgirls as well - but to get a truer sense of what a lu%26#39;au is all about - I recommend Smith%26#39;s!

Just my opinion - and I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Malama Pono,

Janet


We went to Smith%26#39;s a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree with the first comment in all respects, good food, entertaining show, nice grounds, gracious hosts. Is there a better luau and was the show authentic? I don%26#39;t know. My sense is that if you can%26#39;t enjoy yourself at that luau, you are a curmudgeon, expecting a gourmet meal, or are an expert in south pacific dance.


Can%26#39;t go wrong with Smith%26#39;s. That%26#39;s my vote.


Here is another vote for Smith%26#39;s. As well, I am not sure if it is a separate ';page'; but poster Cicopo did share a great link of photos at Smith%26#39;s, if you would like to ';view'; it - you can search under his name.

My only comparison is with one that I went to on Maui, and I liked Smith%26#39;s much better . . . the one on Maui seemed a bit more like Hollywood production, while Smith%26#39;s seemed more like I had been invited to be a part of their family for the evening, which is more my style anyhow. Good luck! :)


MAHALO everyone!!! The Smiths HAVE IT!!


We%26#39;ve been to Smith%26#39;s twice and could easily go again. Your parents will find it is a very pleasant, entertaining evening. All the luaus feature mass feeding, so none of them will be outstanding culinary events. You will not complain about the food though. It is good.


We went to Kalamaku at Christmas and it was absolutely stunning!! The venue was terrific, the crafts and vendors before supper were excellent, the food was VERY good and the show was phenomenal. You guessed it - we loved it! Having said that, we have been at Smiths and it was good fun. Nothing wrong with it at all and, as Koloagirl said, handed-down family tradition is a very good thing. But don%26#39;t exclude Kalamaku (Gaylords) from your short list. It is very memorable experience.


I just book the Smith%26#39;s Luau after reading all of your advise! Mahalo to everyone for you time and advise!!


Pa%26#39;ina %26#39;O Hanalei.

Small crowds, so always great seating. Open bar (considered the best) and the most amazing buffet line! Dancers are very professional and all are award winning dancers, taught by a 26x first place/overall winner Ms. Mi Nei Oliver, one of the most respected dancers in all Hawai%26#39;i.

Considered an excellent show by tourist and many locals. Setting is breath-taking because of the blood red sunset at the famous Bali Hai (Hanalei bay).

  • one web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment