Friday, March 30, 2012

Lava Update - Sept 5 2008 (Must Read!!!)

Exciting news!!! Lava has been spotted within the Halema%26#39;uma%26#39;u Vent at the Hawaii Volcanes National Park.

I am now going to see the nightime viewing conditions and will have another update soon.

In the meantime check out this link for video and description of this historic event:

hvo.wr.usgs.gov/pressreleases/pr09_05_08.html

Lava Update - Sept 5 2008 (Must Read!!!)

I think I%26#39;m going to cry. Maybe I can fly back next week.

Hope it%26#39;s spectacular, on behalf of lava lovers everywhere.

Lava Update - Sept 5 2008 (Must Read!!!)

I skimmed the press release since it%26#39;s really late here and I need to go to bed.

It sounds like it can only be viewed by helicopter or plane since it%26#39;s within the crater and not ';shooting'; out. Did I read it correctly?


Great news. Thank you.

(and only 6 days until I get to the island)


Well, this morning I was able to look at the webcam of Halema%26#39;uma%26#39;u Vent. Wow! You can definately see the lava ';shooting'; up into the air.

If this is still going on around the 20th of September where would the best place to see it be?


At approximately 2130 Hawaiian Time on the evening of Sept 5th there was no lava visible from the Jagger Museum. There was however a spectacular glow occassionally illuminating the entire Halema%26#39;uma%26#39;u Crater. The brightness of the glow was variable throughout the night. Around 2210 the glow completely went away and the view turned into darkness. By 2213 the glow returned and once again began its fluctuating pattern. A possible explanation for the period of darkness is the lava pond on the interior overturning.

By 0545 on Sept 6th was the best viewing. The morning light came in and showed a fantastic panaramic view of the Kilauea Caldera and the new crater within Halema%26#39;uma%26#39;u continuing its show with its fluctuating red glow.

There is currently lava within the crater, but it is only visible by helicoptor or from the rim of Halema%26#39;uma%26#39;u. No access is allowed onto the rim.

To see a more detailed update visit the USGS website update here: http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php


This is truly exciting! Your post was the thing that sent me to check the updates ... I usually do it every day but I hadn%26#39;t. I have to go up to Volcano House tomorrow. Do you have any idea if it%26#39;s a zoo up there right now?

I was thinking about going before sunset.

I am NOT a 5:45 am person, lol, not even for Madame Pele.

(I%26#39;d have to get up at 4 am)


Lavaguyd, do your posts about the lava flow generate business for your tour company ?


Found this safety guide on the county web site

http://lavainfo.us/KalapanaSafetyInsert.pdf

Useful info for land or water viewing--see the picture of bench collapse!


KamaainaK, I cant honestly say how crowded it will be, but I can imagine that there will be a bit more activity with the new excitement, especially at the Jagger Museum. When I got to there around 2130 on Sept 5 there were only 3 cars in the parking area. This was before the news made it into the morning paper. I would expect large crowds around sunset today.

If you want to get away from the crowds I would go later. By 10pm it usually gets pretty quiet, even though when I went on the 5th there was a very loud and obnoxious group of teens that showed up around 11pm and stayed for about 30 minutes. Personally I like the early morning b/c very few people even try to make the effort to get up, which means no crowds. When there are no crowds or people talking you have a better chance of hearing small explosions coming from the crater. Plus the view really is much better before sunrise...


RustyHarpoon, I just started contributing posts on TripAdvisor recently. The main intention is to come and share information, help others, and learn from the experts such as KamaainaK, Hawaiidan, and those who contribute on a regular basis. Even though I have not gotten any business as a result it doesnt mean im not hoping for it!

Not everybody can afford to take a tour, especially since a vacation to Hawaii can be so expensive. If the airline tickets dont take a big chomp out of your budget, then the food, or sometimes the lodging will. For a lot of people this is a once in a lifetime experience, and often it is with a limited budget. What it is about is making sure people dont spend their money unwisely or waste their time doing things that dont fit them, especially if this is their only time to ever be in this incredible place. My services are not for those coming here on a budget, but my contributions here may help them create lifelong memories and make their researching process a bit easier.

  • why dousbports founder
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment