Friday, March 30, 2012

Honeymoon Help

So I have dug myself into a bit of a hole. I am getting hitched in late January, and planning a honeymoon for the first week in February. As some of you know, when we got engaged, I surprised my better half with a weeklong trip to Hawaii, including 6 days at the FS Manele Bay. The problem is that she loved Lanai so much, I don%26#39;t know that I can top it for the honeymoon.





I know many of you have been to Lanai as well as other destinations on par. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions....?



Honeymoon Help


Well, Scott -- you are in good company! Many of us find a part of Hawaii that we love ... and we always want to stay there. For us - it%26#39;s the Sheraton Maui (Ka%26#39;anapali). For others, the big resorts on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island. Or the Hyatt on Kauai.





I would recommend that you stay on Maui -- and include a few days at Manele Bay. Fairly handy to do.



Honeymoon Help


Aloha Scott,





Well I look at this as a good ';problem';. You have a wife to be who is already impressed with your Hawai%26#39;i, planning, so you are starting off really well. I definately agree that you have to spend a few days back at Manele for your honeymoon. I am sure there are many things to do there that you did not do yet, and many things you want to do again. How many days do you have? What is your budget? What other island did you visit with the last trip?





The best overall resort in Hawai%26#39;i IMO is the FS Hualalai, on the Big Island. The service, spa, rooms, restaurants, etc are outstanding. They are doing some renovation now, so you should check with them on the progress. Also, realize that rooms there will cost you about $1000/night.





The FS Maui is also wonderful for a honeymoon, and their renovation is complete. Wailea beach which fronts the resort is very similar to Hulopo%26#39;e Beach in front of Manele Bay (it is just more crowded). And although Maui is becoming over-developed, you can still find quiet, Lana%26#39;i-like places there. The advantage of staying on Maui, is that you just have to take to ferry to get over to Lana%26#39;i.





I am a little wary of Kaua%26#39;i in mid winter due the the increased risk of rain (it rained everyday we were there for our honeymoon 26 years ago, so I hold a grudge).





-DrV




Congrats Scott!



That is really exciting. What would be more perfect than going back to the place where it all began? %26lt;wink%26gt;





I%26#39;m completely biased, so I will be of no help here! Happy Planning...




I was really hoping to do something different, but you all have pretty much hit it dead on. I%26#39;m gonna have to come back to Lanai.





Last year, we also spent 3 days at the Hyatt in Ka%26#39;anapali. We%26#39;d definitely be up for Maui again, but after 6 days in Lanai, I don%26#39;t think I could swing another 6 days in Maui. I%26#39;m looking more at 6 nights in Oahu, split between Waikiki and Ko Olina.





With that said, do you have any recommendations on the flight options or airline preferences from Honolulu? I took the ferry from Maui last time, so the flight is new to me. From what I have seen so far, there is Hawaiian, Go!, and Island Air. Anyone better than the other?




Your only flight choices are Island Air and Go! Hawaiian just code shares with Island Air so they show their flights on the hawaiian site. I definately recommmend Island Air over Go!, both because they have much bigger planes, but also because of what Go! has done to the interisland air travel by undercutting the existing airlines leading to Aloha%26#39;s demise. They actually fly little 8 seat prop planes under the name Go! Express. Island Air flies 36 seat prop planes, in which I feel much more comfortable.




Island Air runs a tight ship. We%26#39;ve always been pleased with their service. From HNL, it%26#39;s a quick 25-30 minute ride, nice views, cup of POG...life is good when you%26#39;re flyin%26#39; to Lana%26#39;i.




Aloha!



I would go back to Lanai again and then head for Kauai.



On Kauai, I like the Hyatt and the Marriott.



You will get more of a ';wow'; factor at the Hyatt and better weather that time of year. Kauai is gorgeous!





Bryan Brown



BBrown9825@aol.com




Thanks for the advice all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment