Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Things to do at an airport while waiting for your flight?

My husband and my flight will be leaving in the middle of the morning, while my mothers flight leaves at 9:30 p.m. She is traveling alone. Are there things to do at the airport or close by that will occupy her time until her flight leaves? We will be dropping of the car before our flight so she will be without a ride.

Things to do at an airport while waiting for your flight?

On Kauai ?!?!?! Leave your poor mother at the hotel (pay for a late check-out) and arrange for her transportation to the airport later that day. There is NOTHING in the immediate vicinity of the airport that someone without a car can get to.

That being said - you could arrange for her to take some sort of tour (Fern Grotto, etc) that would be relaxing on her last day on the island.

Things to do at an airport while waiting for your flight?

Our resort is up in Princeville, so I really think she would not be comfortable doing that but I can ask. About how much would a taxi be from Princeville to the airport? That is if the resort will let her have a late check out..We are staying at the Pahio at Ka%26#39;Eo Kai..


hmmmmmmmm I was afraid of that. How about arranging for a tour that will allow her to bring her stuff with her and will drop her off at the airport? An acquaintance did it on Oahu when she went skydiving (not that I advocate jumping out of perfectly good airplanes....shudder) but maybe one of the movie tours?


I agree. There is absolutely nothing to do at the LIH airport.

If she feels more comfortable at the airport, arrange for her to have an earlier flight to Honolulu if you have a stop over there on your flight home. There is a small shopping mall basically at the Honolulu airport or she could arrange to have a taxi drive her to see the Pearl Harbor memorial.

I know that when I was at LIH early, I was flying US Air with a connection through Honolulu on Hawaiian. Hawaiian said I could take an earlier flight for $25 (no free standbys). If it had been more than an hour, I would have definitely done that. I was bored out of my mind at the LIH airport.

Another alternative is to set her up with a portable DVD player -- at least then she can keep herself entertained.


Unfortunately, she is flying on Alaska Air with a direct flight from Lihue to Seattle..Guess she might have to have a good book to read to keep herself entertained.


I would arrange for her to book a tour and they could pick her up right at the airport. The seats at the airport are not comfy. The waiting rooms will be cramped with other passengers waiting to leave and the restaurant closes down early. If you book her The Movie Tour that is an all day tour. I%26#39;m sure they could drop her off at the airport.


I know the Marriott has a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Its complimentary for guests, but I don%26#39;t know if they will pick up/deliver non-guests. Depending on your budget, they might offer a day pass. There%26#39;s Kalapaki Beach and Dukes there to kill some time. Also, if she can drive you can get a cheap Priceline/Hotwire rental for her that one day.


A couple ideas: she could check her bags and go to the mall? Or, I have heard good things about the museum in Lihue ... both would require taxis. I%26#39;m thinking that she should romp a bit before that long flight.


If I was the mother, I would not want to sit at the Lihue airport for 10 hours, nor would I want to tour all day.

I%26#39;d first try to get a day pass at the Marriott, (or even for the whole day) following that, I%26#39;d book a room at one of the local low budget hotels. I%26#39;d want a place to freshen up before a flight, and have a taxi pick me up and take me to the airport in the evening.


Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!

Gad! No way should someone sit at the Lihu%26#39;e airport for 10 hours - your sanity could be compromised!

There is NOTHING to do at our airport - believe me --

the chairs are hard and the whole place is not meant for long-term sitting I%26#39;m afraid.

I too would suggest a day-use room at one of the properties closeby - then a taxi to the airport -- please don%26#39;t leave your mother at the airport for 10 hours - that sounds like such a nightmare!

Malama Pono,

Janet

  • transfer file
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment