Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 4-5)

Hello all! Here%26#39;s the continuation of my trip report.





Day 4 (8/25) - DH and I were still getting up pretty early so we decided to go for a run in the morning. In case anyone is curious, the distance of the path that runs in front of Ka%26#39;anapali Beach is approximately 1.3 miles(that includes the flagstone part the runs in front of the Marriott and Hyatt). It wasn%26#39;t too bad early but the path got crowded after 8 a.m. and I would have felt bad dodging people then. All in all a nice way to start the morning and it eased the guilt about all those mai tai%26#39;s :) We then made our way to Black Rock for more snorkeling. The visibility was definitely better in the morning and we saw tons of fish. We made out way back to the pool stopping along the way to jump back in the ocean. Hung out by the pool the rest of the day swimming and people watching. Got a shave ice at the Westin and I was hooked. I think they were about $5 and they were HUGE! I only wish they had a ';mai tai shave ice!!'; haha! Went to Sansei for dinner. Mmmmmm...I am still thinking about that sushi. It was awesome!! Their panko crused tuna roll was to die for. We missed happy hour, but I didn%26#39;t think the prices were too bad. We got quite a bit of sushi and a couple of drinks and our bill was around $70. After that we went back to Whaler%26#39;s village and got a piece of hula pie to go from Leilani%26#39;s to enjoy before hitting the hay early again!





Day 5 (8/26) - We actually were able to sleep in a little this morning - yipee!! DH and I love to sleep so this getting up early thing was really throwing us for a loop. It was a little cloudy and drizzling a bit but we didn%26#39;t mind because we saw a beautiful rainbow. We decided to check out the Gazebo in Napili for breakfast. I think we got there around 10 a.m. We waited maybe 35 mintes but we talked to the people behind us the whole time, so the wait flew by. This was a great place for breakfast. Now, I%26#39;m not a pancake expert, but DH and I do frequent the Original Pancake House and I have to say that the Gazebo%26#39;s banana mac pancakes were excellent! The portions were huge and very very good. Our sever was very friendly and the view was magnificent. Prices were very reasonable as well - around $25. After that, we decided to drive to Honolua Bay. We got a good parking spot off the road and followed some other people there. It was pretty crowded and and started to drizzle even more, so we decided to skip snorkeling there. I%26#39;m sort of weird about swimming when it%26#39;s raining. I kind of wished we had, but oh well! Just something for the list next time. We then headed to the Nakalele blowhole. It had stopped raining by this point so we hiked down. I recommend good shoes because it%26#39;s kind of steep and very rocky. We got some cool pictures and just watched the blowhole for a while. The ocean was spectacular - I could have stood there all day! After hiking back up we drove a little further and stopped at the Olivine pools. It had started to rain pretty hard again so we just took a picture from the top. There was no way I was hiking down slippery rocks! We made our way back to the hotel and lounged by the pool the remainder of the day. That evening, we went to the Lahaina Grill. This was a very good restaurant. There isn%26#39;t a view and the tables are a bit close to eachother, but our food and service were great. We were celebrating our 5th anniversary, so this was our ';big'; dinner for the week. We each got the chef%26#39;s special which included salad, an appetizer, dinner, and dessert. We also got a bottle of wine. The bill was about $250. Good thing I had that wine before I saw it! Maybe it was a little overpriced, but hey - it%26#39;s Maui!





I%26#39;ll post the rest of my report tomorrow. Thanks all for reading!



Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 4-5)


blondie,



it sounds like a great trip-we came back in June and the next trip is not for 7 1/2 more months so I%26#39;ll live vicariously through your reports until then.I know what you mean about Sensei,it was the best sushi I have ever had and the Gazebo pancakes were awesome.Well I%26#39;m sure you will go back to Maui as soon as you can after this trip is over,I have never really left.Have a great time and keep the reports coming,Thanks.



Our 1st time to Maui trip report (days 4-5)


Blondie, I am really enjoying your reports. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Looking forward to more!




sounds great. makes me think of my trip just back 8/22-8/29/. i wanted to try Sansei w/ my DH but we just didn%26#39;t make it but i am taking notes for our next trip that we have to discuss and start saving again for!




blondie, you were wise in not snorkeling Honolua Bay when it is raining. There is a stream that flows from the west Maui Mountains into the bay. Not only would the visibility be poor, it also makes for murky water which sharks like!!




Thanks msfuzz - that makes me feel better for not going in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment