Monday, April 23, 2012

Rentals on the Big Island

My family and I are planning our first trip to the Kona area of Hawaii in November 2008. We plan on staying a week, have three kids(1,8,10) and will also have my parents with us. Due to an extreme dietary restriction we would like to be able to cook as much food as possible ourselves. We%26#39;re also looking for someplace quiet and peaceful with nice views of the ocean. We%26#39;re not really concerned with being right on the beach/ocean (as long as the kids have a pool to play in). I found some homes for rent on vrbo.com and wondered if anyone has any experience/knowledge of these homes. The listing #%26#39;s are:





#106937



#91902



#145191



#6132





Also wondered if anyone had any dealings with Sunrise Properties, Inc. We may go over to the Hilo side for a couple of days or to Volcano as well and saw some nice properties with them.







Thank you in advance for any thoughts!





Rentals on the Big Island


I would strongly urge you to not go through an owner..and to select a licenced managemnt firm with a real office, and real staff.... here on the island. and not some web site that may be in Montana





One has only to read the horror srories of thiose who got ripped off . Its a very false economy... that ends up costing all sorts of extras and has no security....



Rentals on the Big Island


I am not against renting through vrbo. I have, and so far no problems. You do need to do your research and do not give a deposit without speaking with the owner to get the information you need.





However, I can%26#39;t begin to look up the numbers you listed without more info. What area? Look at the listing and try to post the URL. Trip Advisor is now highlighting and we are able to just click and go the the sight if you post the website for the listing. Try that or at least the area you found each listing.





I have never seen Sunrise referenced on this board. It isn%26#39;t Sunquest is it?




I checked all your listings and for me, the 91902 oceanfront wins hands down. We have stayed in a private residence that is listed on VRBO. The owners rent it in multiple ways depending on how many people are in your party. We rented the studio, VRBO #46951 and 2 couples in our party rented the attached 2 story house, VRBO #34465. It is right on the ocean, with a sand beach, Magic Sands, about 1 block walk north. We loved it, but it just depends on what YOU are looking for. For us, the proximity to the ocean is everything. BTW, a management company takes care of this property.




Bips, how did you find them so fast? If there is a search on vrbo, could you explain it? I would love to put #%26#39;s in a search box. Thanks for your input, as always.




Okay, I went through the Kona ';Private Homes'; and found them all. 91902 for sure if you want waterfront (I always do). They all look nice and the ones up the hillside may have views but being by the ocean is what going to Hawaii is what it is all about. If you can stay by the ocean, I say do it.




If I don%26#39;t go through vrbo (or some similar group) how do I find a management firm? How do I know if they are licensed or not? I find contradictory information everywhere I look and truthfully don%26#39;t know where to start. I thought we were on the right track!?




Mr.Rob-You go to www.vrbo.com and on the home page there%26#39;s a search box to put the number (without the #). I just highlighted the number, copied, opened a new tab for VRBO, pasted in the search box, click go.





Luvkea-I think many of the VRBO listings use management companies to help out with their rentals. At least the ones I have rented did.



I check on their guest register for email addresses of people who have stayed there. Many people have replied to me, answered my questions, and even sent their own personal pictures and videos of the property...a big help.





Also, a few miles north of Magic Sands beach is Kahalu%26#39;u Beach Park. Your kids will love seeing the turtles and other reef creatures who reside there. Go early to avoid the crowds.




Sorry, I%26#39;m an idiot today. Magic Sands is 1 block SOUTH of the VRBO listings I gave you and Kahalu%26#39;u is a couple of miles SOUTH.




That is the million dollar question. I went through this when planning our trip Jan/08. Kona By The Sea is HIGHLY recommended by the expert men here on Big Island. I do not like to rent a condo sight unseen, especially when their rates are very, very high. (as Kona By The Sea%26#39;s are).





For example, $250-310 for oceanfront, depending on travel agent or complex direct. We rented an oceanfront condo from Sunquest in Hale Kona Kai for 160, then the owner took over the rental and we paid 150. Newly renovated, smelled great, looked great and very nice linens and towels. Soft, high thread count sheets and plush towels, beautiful views and very well maintained complex. No grounds to speak of, but who needs them when you have lave pools out front to see eels and turtles all of the time. Loved the place.




Thanks, Bips. I don%26#39;t think I have been to the homepage since I first discovered vrbo.





I hope you have been safe with all of the spring storms we have been having.





Mindy


  • bee luscious cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment