Monday, April 23, 2012

Trip Report - Rainbow Kayak to Wailua - Photos too! (Long!)

Well we went Kayaking yesterday so I thought I%26#39;d share my experience...





Got up really early for the 7:15 am tour at Rainbow Kayak. I%26#39;d reccommend this time slot because it was nice to have the place to ourselves most of the day. As we were leaving in the afternoon, there were loads of people coming in.





We were originally going to do this ourselves but we got a 2 for 1 for our presentation, so we decided to just take the tour for 30 bucks more. Our guide Chris was very nice and informative (a little quiet though). We each got a dry bag for our stuff and picked out of lunch to bring with us. They provided juice which was nice as the zipline tour did not. We got our bags ready and climbed into the van. It was only a 5 min drive to the Wailua river and we all unloaded our kayaks. He gave us a few pointers but for those who have never kayaked, you%26#39;re pretty much left on your own to figure it out. Make sure you have someone stronger in the back to steer. Chris said we had a very calm day on the water, even on the way back so we didn%26#39;t expereince any wind, which was nice. Still a very good shoulder workout! Whew!





Kayaked about 2 miles in and even kayaked by the old village used in the movie Outbreak (I had to ask the guide that, but I think he should%26#39;ve pointed that out to everyone as I thought that was cool!)





The hike was very scenic and a little slippery/muddy at times. The river crossing was very slippery so I%26#39;d reccommend hiking sandals or water shoes because you go all the way up to your knees at times! The skeeters were all over me so I quickly put on bugspray. I found them mostly when you first climb down the rocks to the falls. That%26#39;s when they attacked, but I only got three bites, so that%26#39;s a record for me! :)





The Falls were breaktaking! Prettier than any picture I%26#39;ve seen! There was a beautiful rainbow at the bottom! We instantly swam out to swim under the falls. COLD, COLD, COLD! But very refreshing and totally worth it to feel the falls! We had lunch by the rocks. BTW, don%26#39;t feel the roosters unless you want them all to hound you! They are very aggresive here! Anyway, lunch was turkey sandwich, cookies, pineapple and chips (juice)... very good. We begged the guide if we could quickly go back out to swim for a bit longer. That would be my only beef with not going on your own as you can%26#39;t stay as long as you%26#39;d like. Got some great shots though!





(BTW, some on this board said they got bit by something in the falls. Our guide said that it was a bass that bit some people recently and they are currently working on getting it out - we didn%26#39;t feel anything but the rocks really sneak up on you! I banged my knee twice so be careful!)





On our hike back he took us to a pretty unknown spot called The Green Room... wow, this was amazing! You are surrounded by green, the floor and all the sides around you with just a tiny man made path. Thank goodness there are no snakes or I would%26#39;ve freaked out! He said he doesn%26#39;t always take the tours here and it depends on conditions. He said this was his fav spot on the island and I could see why. I%26#39;ve never seen anything like it. I felt privledged to see it.





We were done about noon and drove us back to the starting point. I had a pretty nice group and it was a very fun way to spend a morning! After all, how many can say they kayaked, hiked, swam under a waterfall and saw a rainbow all before lunch! (besides those lucky ones who live here!) :)





Had a great time. This is something we could%26#39;ve done ourselves, but it was nice to have a guide to tell us some info about the areas we were hiking (he pointed out where the royalty used to live many, many years ago, certain plants and where they farmed...and of course the green room!) But than again, we only paid 100.00 for both of us, so it was definitly worth it for us!





Hope this was helpful for those who are considering it! Here are some photos! I hope they work!





…google.com/sexyscrapper/April2426KayakingTo…





Take care!



Jen



Trip Report - Rainbow Kayak to Wailua - Photos too! (Long!)


Jenp, have enjoyed every single one of your reports - great commentary and the pics are all gorgeous!



Mahalo



Trip Report - Rainbow Kayak to Wailua - Photos too! (Long!)


The ice cream made my mouth water.....Great pics Jen..



How many more days left?



Have you learned to relax and be on Kauai time...It%26#39;s nice isn%26#39;t it...



Have you done any souvenir shopping yet?



Glad you are soaking up the things to enjoy Kauai.




To Jen,



THANK YOU! I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate all of your posts. Everything from car rental to heli tours to potty breaks. Your photos are great too.



Planning holidays for my husband and I is always interesting as I like luxury hotels, gourmet meals, water activities, etc (all of which of course we can%26#39;t afford) people watching and dancing, and my husband likes camping in the bush, fast food, and hates crowds and will only dance if he%26#39;s really relaxed (he just laughed at what I wrote).



We both look at your photos and posts to see what we%26#39;d like to do on our trip in October. So far, a lot of what you%26#39;ve done looks awesome! We both thought that we wouldn%26#39;t want to pay full price for the luau, though.



P.S. My 7yr old son and I just got back from Waikiki and we both loved taking surf lessons. Even if your husband doesn%26#39;t feel comfortable you might love doing it-what an amazing rush! Or maybe you%26#39;ve already surfed...



Anyways, just wanted to thank you for all of the time you%26#39;ve spent on TA.






Jen,





I%26#39;d like to add my thanks AGAIN for your posts and photos. I have enjoyed every one and love seeing photos of places we may want to visit on our trip in June.





Lisa




As always, i love looking at all of your pic%26#39;s and your input on the excursions you have done. Can%26#39;t wait to be there in person! Didn%26#39;t you get a underwater camera before your trip? Haven%26#39;t seen any underwater pic%26#39;s yet. Enjoy your last week there!!!



KDgardens




Love the photos. You can tell you are having a great time.



Thanks for taking the time to post the reports and photos, (we are all vicariously enjoying a little vacation via your reports and photos).



BTW, If I go on the kayak tour I will be sure not to ';feel'; the roosters - wouldn%26#39;t want them all to hound me, lol!



Keep on having fun, and thanks, again!!!




Thanks guys!





We leave this coming Friday... still plan to do two more hikes this week.





KD, no, we didn%26#39;t get an underwater camera. We don%26#39;t go into the ocean much. Hubby is terrified of sharks and so we don%26#39;t do much snorkelling. We mainly like to just sit and watch it. So beautiful. Maybe next time we%26#39;ll venture out into the water more. We are more %26#39;pool%26#39; people I guess! :)





Thanks for the nice comments about my reports. It%26#39;s nice to hear that others are enjoying them and learning something. That%26#39;s why I do them.





Yeah, don%26#39;t ';Feel'; the roosters, or ';feed'; them! Oops! :)





Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment