Saturday, April 21, 2012

Babysitting at Kahala/ Babysitting in general

Do people actually use hotels%26#39; babysitting services that the concierge provide? I love the idea of the kids%26#39; camps, Four Seasons kids%26#39; programs, for older kids etc etc but has anyone ever used an actual babysitter so mom and dad can enjoy dinner out, or even at a hotel%26#39;s restaurant? I%26#39;m a bit reluctant to do this and I wonder if anyone has some advice or experience? My husband and I will be staying at the Kahala and we have a 4 month old...I am just happy to get away and will probably not want a babysitter, but I%26#39;m just curious.



Babysitting at Kahala/ Babysitting in general


I know people who have used baby sitting services at the Fairmont on the Big Island. They didn%26#39;t leave the resort, but went to a luau dinner as part of the course we were attending. I haven%26#39;t been able to reconcile conflict over it and try it myself (we have a 3.5 year old and have been to Hawaii with her 3 times.)





You might want to talk to the concierge and see what kind of background checks are run on the sitters... if there is anyway to meet the person in advance to see if you are comfortable with them. I always think about trying the sitter services, but just don%26#39;t think I%26#39;d be comfortable (but then I interview quite a few sitters at home before I find one I am comfortable with.)





One thing we like to do is get a room with a really nice view, and have room service delivered to the lanai after our daughter is down for the night. It%26#39;s not exactly the same as going out, but can be even more relaxing because you don%26#39;t have to worry about the baby. Another thing we%26#39;ve done is go out and take the baby, but we always make sure we are eating dinner early when the restaurant is not packed. In those cases, you really need to prepare to just leave if the baby starts crying, but knock on wood we are luck to have a pretty happy little girl (and she seems even happier when in Hawaii.) Good luck and enjoy your trip!



Babysitting at Kahala/ Babysitting in general


I just have to say to ThisNThat my appreciation of parents who leave when their child begins to cry. I cannot believe the parents who come here and let their children ruin people%26#39;s expensive vacation dinners.





Thank you for showing me that manners are still alive!





Four months is very young. The people here are so nice and wonderful with kids, really. And realistically I suppose she would sleep ... but I wouldn%26#39;t want to have my baby off property from where I was.





Keep in mind that in case of a medical emergency, the good care is far away. The really good care is in Honolulu. If there were an emergency there would be a time lag in having it seen to in any case. So with a baby, I would stay close, but then I%26#39;m a worry-wort with infants.





Very nice suggestion about the in-room dining. No worries that way, no concerns about having to take baby out of the restaurant either.




oh, sorry! I totally missed you said Kahala and was thinking Kahana on Maui (and didn%26#39;t see the forum name until I posted). DUH! Well, you ARE on the island where there%26#39;s good care, but also in a city, and I would still stay close.




ThisNThat, thank you for your thoughtful advice. Great idea about having dinner on the lanai. And it is true that it this age, 4 months, they%26#39;re pretty easy and they just sleep through dinner in their car seats! And yes--I%26#39;m with you on going early to restaurants and leaving if she gets restless.



And regarding the other post, thankfully my husband is a very experienced pediatrician so that%26#39;s takes the worry out of health emergencies when we travel! Part of me thinks that even if I did leave her w/a sitter service I wouldn%26#39;t enjoy myself because I%26#39;d be thinking about her the whole time. Maybe when she%26#39;s a toddler and we can leave her with those daily kids%26#39; camps we%26#39;ll feel a bit better about it. I%26#39;ve heard great things about them and although we want to enjoy our vacation with our kids, sometimes it%26#39;s nice to get away a couple times to play golf, tennis, go out to eat, etc etc I would think I%26#39; not alone in that thought! Thanks again!




%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I would think I%26#39; not alone in that thought!





Hardly! While I think it%26#39;s awful when parents shunt their kids off for the bulk of a vacation, I think some separate time is wonderful. Our kids enjoy those activities and adults enjoy adult meals and shouldn%26#39;t have to feel bad for wanting a dinner without the kids. Well, I wouldn%26#39;t feel bad anyhow.





With an infant, I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s an individual matter whether the child is OK without having mom right there ... as in, is the child used to having a sitter. I wouldn%26#39;t want to try it out for the first time while on vacation, I think.





Best of luck and have fun!




I%26#39;m kind of a nervous nelly, so I would not leave my 4 month old with any babysitting service while I was on vacation even if it was just to go down to dinner. I know that some places do offer this babysitting service and most reported experiences are good, but it just wouldn%26#39;t work for me. I%26#39;d be more nervous at dinner and wouldn%26#39;t be able to enjoy a minute. And, they could have all the references in the world and it still would not matter to me. But, I wouldn%26#39;t leave my four month old at home with an unknown babysitter either. If anything, I%26#39;d bring a regular babysitter with me or grandma. But that is just me. Alternatively, maybe your husband can watch the baby for awhile while you treat yourself to a spa treatment for some getaway time.




There are wonderful sitters available through an agency -- at least on Maui! I just read a post from someone who stayed Kauai. Won%26#39;t your baby be sleeping most of the time the sitter is there anyway? Have your cell number?





The hotel can arrange sitters for you. Shoo! Go on! Have some %26#39;dates%26#39;! LOL





(BTW, DH and I LOVE your magazine!)




Try this link for some babysitting services:





http://www.alohafriendshawaii.com/keiki.html





Also the reservation desk at the hotel should be able to provide a list for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment