Monday, April 23, 2012

New and short easy hike...beautiful beach and cove

Moloa%26#39;a Bay , beach, and coastal walk/hike.





Yesterday, Erica hauled out the HIKING KAUAI book, and found a short easy walk to test out her recovering foot and ankle.





What a lovely place. Small secluded and very lovely cove. Shallow and a bit protected at the left side, but the right side is also quite nice. Beautiful place.





Parking is extremely limited, we got there about



1100.





the Siera club was there on their beach clean up, so we briefly visited with them. They were trying to cut up a large snarl of fishnets. We have done just that at Maha%26#39;ulepu and that is one heck of job. Then toting the smaller heavy bundles of that netting out to a truck.





There was a small stream ,or inlet to wade, so I took my shoes off. Erica left hers on. Nearly across, I felt something sharp scrape my heal.





On the other side, I thought, it might be a large piece of glass, and could cut someone, so I swept my hand into the sand to pick it out and dispose of it.





Eowoooo ! What the heck ! I yanked my had out of the water to find the pinchers of an irrated crab in a viced like grip at the end of my finger.





Prying him off, I tossed him back into his home waters, and wore my shoes on the return crossing.







The beach is downright lovely and uncrowded. Probably will stay that was unless you sky dive in, due to lack of parking.





You can set up a tent or two on the far left, for a wonderful weekend campout.





A few ( maybe two or three people ) were cooling off and playing in the shallow waters at the end of the beach. It would be a great spot in calm days. Otherwise, might really check out the conditions.





The hike along the coast leads toward Larsens, but you cannot get all the way due to a bird habitat that is fenced and protected.





It is really short and easy, and I wish we would have brought our cameras for some photo ops.





Heading north out of Kapa%26#39;s, the turn off is past the 16 mile mark at the fruit stand. In a couple of minutes , turn right on Moloa%26#39;a Road. Drive to Sign that says END OF ROAD, and this is where we found one last open parking spot.





Short walk to the beach. In all of our years of visits, etc, we had not been here. Pretty nice.



If, we could not find parking on our next visit, Larsens is in the same area.





Might give Moloa%26#39;a a visit sometime..just make it early.





Today%26#39;s Plan: sunday





Gym, then after a hearty breakfast, poipu Hayatt, and walk along the dunes trail to CJM stables for the '; Team roping '; finals. Howdy partner !





Should be a fun, and different day. I used to love the Livermore Rodeo, with my grand parents, when I was a young lad.





Will let you all know how that went.





Denny



New and short easy hike...beautiful beach and cove


Soungs like a wonderful place to go. I made a copy. We will be on Kauai for four weeks in Jan/Feb. Hope to make this one of our things to do I am in the background and I accumulate the interesting things to do in a notebook for our trip. Thanks for all of your input about this beautiful island. Sounds as though you and Erica are living a dream.



New and short easy hike...beautiful beach and cove


Great tip Denny, have copied and adding to my growing folder - wish I were able to do all the great hikes that I once did, but easy is now the key word for me. Looking forward to this one.



Fantastic



Mahalo




Sunday plans changed a bit.





Erica%26#39;s sprained foot and ankle were bothering her a bit, so we belayed hiking to CJM. She is recovering pretty well, but needs to take it a bit easy. I told her that we needed to stay smart and get her back to 100%.





So, we went to the gym, then to Market Place Diner for breakfast, then I watched the last few laps of NASCAR, and Erica went to Kukui Grove to shop.





Seems the level ground and floors of Macy%26#39;s did not bother her ankle as much as uneven ground of the coastal trail. Magic ! Holding her down is a real chore.





Then I headed up to the pool, and she came up later.





Pretty much a kick back easy day. Very relaxing.





Wishing you all wonderful happy and exciting adventures on your Garden Island Visits.





Denny




They have Macy%26#39;s on Kauai? I did not realize the towns were big enough for those types of stores. Interesting...




Macy%26#39;s is the only one of ';those types of stores';. Sounds like you two had an enjoyable Sunday anyway. I think we may have done that easy hike, too. Was the parking along the dead end paved road in front of some rental properties? The ocean was a bit rough when we were there at Moloa%26#39;a Bay, but it was in Feb. a couple years ago. It was still pretty, though.




Thanks for the report Denny. My wife and I are staying at a home on Moloaa Bay in May for 5 days (then at Waipouli Beach Resort for a week). I%26#39;ve heard the ocean conditions are hit or miss, but we%26#39;re mostly staying for the privacy and beautiful views, so it%26#39;s sounds like we%26#39;ll be happy with that!




Oh, I love Moloa%26#39;a Bay, it is so beautiful and peaceful, and the drive through the countryside to get there is so pretty and lush. My husband and I have whiled away a couple of very lovely afternoons in that lovely cove. Now, with this input from Denny, we have another little area to explore on our next trip. THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment