Monday, April 23, 2012

Meal @ Dukes before flight



I am REALLY getting pumped for my trip--only 12 days until I%26#39;m in Hawaii, and then only 15 until Kauai. I don%26#39;t want to start thinking about the end of my trip already, but I%26#39;ve read this forum consistently for the past 6 months or so, and remember someone talking about checking in at the airport and then taking a taxi to Duke%26#39;s for their final meal.





As I looked at my trip, I think that might be the route we go. I have a car to return to AVIS at 5pm and a flight with Hawaiian at 8pm. That gives me around two hour or so before I should get back for security/boarding. For those who have done this, would 3 hours before the flight be too early to check my baggage? Also, does the Marriott shuttle pick up people who aren%26#39;t guests? If not, do taxis frequently cruise past the airport or should I call one in advance?





Most of my time in Kauai (12 days total) will be pretty laid back with not much of a schedule, but this part I would like to figure out so I%26#39;m not sitting in the airport for 3 hours!! Let me know what you think--this board is the best!



Meal @ Dukes before flight




Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Are you traveling interisland or to the mainland on the flight you are referring to?





I ask because you really should be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time for a mainland flight - a little less for interisland. Ag inspection can back up as can security and other check-in lines.





If you are dropping your car off at Avis at 5pm and your flight is at 8pm - I don%26#39;t think there would be any way you could take a taxi to Duke%26#39;s, have a meal and make it back to the airport in time to make your flight.





The Marriot shuttle does not pick up people who are not guests of the hotel. Taxis are readily available at the airport.





Malama Pono,



Janet



Meal @ Dukes before flight


The last time we flew from LIH to the west coast the airport was a madhouse. They had LAX and SFO flights departing within 15 minutes of each other and the counter/baggage/security areas were overwhelmed. We were well over an hour getting checked in. Never had any problem with flights going to HNL. We usually hit Dukes on our last night but have always kept our rental car to get there.




Why don%26#39;t you just valet park at Duke%26#39;s, have dinner and then go to the airport?




HawkGuy,



Can you keep the car at a later time? This would be your best bet, otherwise I think your wait at Dukes and a cab will be a rush...



We rent from Avis when we go and we fly out at 10pm and keep the car till 8pm.It is a quick and easy drop off...




Or you could return your car earlier, check your bags, get your boarding passes ... and then take the taxi to Duke%26#39;s. You%26#39;ll still need to give yourself enough time to go through security when you get back.




Lola has it right.





Turn the car in a little earlier. Check your bags, get your boarding passes and take a cab to Duke%26#39;s. Cabs are readily available at the airport. Get a card to call for return. Believe you can check in 4 hours before your flight, but double check me on that. Gives you plenty of time without last minute hassle.





Good meal, couple of Mai Tais, and you%26#39;ll remember very little about your flight.




Thanks for the advice- to answer one of the questions, I will be flying to HNL first on Hawaiian, and then catching a flight on US Air to the mainland.





I guess I wasn%26#39;t anticipating the ag inspection. That adds quite a bit of time between that and security? How long should allow for that? I%26#39;m glad I asked here before I went through with it.





The reason I was not thinking about keeping the car a couple more hours is I was not pleased with Avis%26#39;s charges for the extra couple of hours. Maybe that%26#39;s something I can negotiate at the counter. I%26#39;ll either go that route or drop my car off an hour earlier. Please let me know how much time you would budget for the inspection and security. Thanks a lot!




So guess what... I check my reservation and I forgot that I had already switched it to a 6pm dropoff. I guess we%26#39;ll eat at Duke%26#39;s first and then head to the airport. Situation resolved! So in your expert advice, will that give me enough time at the airport. Drop off the car at 6pm with a flight at 8pm? Thanks.




Ag inspection is quick. Even with a long line.




Actually this is a good question since I am considering doing the same. The question I have is: Is it safe to leave your luggage in the rental car while dining at Duke%26#39;s?

No comments:

Post a Comment