Saturday, April 21, 2012

Royal Kona Resort

We are arriving May 8th. Any information about the hotel ie.. should we phone and request certan room location etc..



Also, we are arriving early afternoon at KOA, what are some attractions to take in that afternoon. ( we are headed back to HNL early on the 11th. and want to see as much as possible.



Any advice appreciated!



Royal Kona Resort


it will take you, with traffic till late afternoon to get to Kona and check in, Kona and Kahalulu bay are the only things possible due to southbound traffic that starts at 2:30 south of Kona. SO check in walk the town and have a nice dinner in Don The Beachcomber..... excellent food. ( ate there yeaterday) and even better Bar...waterfront dining..The best in town. ( in the royal kona hotel The new chef is excellent... they have a special for 2....Pupu platter, Prime rib or Ahi, Bottel of wine and desert....for 2 all for $79....





The 9th and 10 are all you have



Royal Kona Resort


Make sure you are not getting a room in the Bay Tower. The rest of the rooms and the hotel itself has been upgraded. Lunch at the Mai Tai Bar is a very good deal and Dan already mentioned the dinner.




We stayed in the Ali Tower April 12 %26amp; 13th. The elevator smelled a little musty. The rooms were a little dated, but clean. Good value.



I was a little surprise there were no ventilation in the bathrooms.



The are lots of bad reviews from those who stayed in the Bay Tower.





The location is ideal for downtown Kona. We had breakfast at Lava Java on Sunday. GREAT food. We were going to try TT%26#39;s recommendation of U Top It, but found out they were closed on Mondays. That happen to us 3 times when trying to find restaurants we wanted to try on the BI %26amp; Kauai.





Huggos had mixed reviews. My wife liked her Monchong. My Ahi was a little %26#39;mushy%26#39;, and had too much Maui Onion crust on it. We%26#39;re were going to try Big Island Grill, but I zigged when I should have zagged. The wife was hungry and just wanted to eat. Thus we did Huggo%26#39;s. Should of tried Don%26#39;s at the hotel.




%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;We%26#39;re were going to try Big Island Grill, but I zigged when I should have zagged. The wife was hungry and just wanted to eat.





lol, yes, when I was in that area last week I had to go around the block twice and it was such slow going that if I missed something I would have just gone on to the next candidate myself.





I don%26#39;t understand why it%26#39;s so annoying (to me anyhow) to drive around the center of Kailua-Kona. I think it might be that with all the tourism, there%26#39;s such a large percentage of people who have no idea where they%26#39;re going.





I%26#39;m used to Hilo traffic, where it flows a lot better.





I guess there isn%26#39;t much to do in the afternoon once you%26#39;re checked in other than to look around the town. I mean if you want to get away from town you could jump back in the car and head north and find some beaches.





I think it depends whether you%26#39;re a town person and enjoy the tourist town scene. If you do, you should be entertained walking around, enjoying the sunset - if there is one. The vog has been shutting out the sunset, but let%26#39;s hope things improve by the time you arrive.




presently I consider Don the Beachcomber the best ocean front dining in Kona fron value to view . Its where I now take all my house guests... and they rave....Have not yet had a bad meal or service...





By the way was at Big Island grill and they informed me they have opened a second restauraunt in the Kona Bowling Alley....called Chubbies... havent tried it but its open on Sunday and the Grill is not.





With reguard to '; Musty'; smells By some strange twist of fate we in Kona are in the tropics with constant 80% humidity and ocean spray in the air, air bourne molds and spores abound as do a thriving population of flying to crawling critters. Its going to look, smell and feel different here...( which is why many come here). I like it better than Lysol and wintergreen

No comments:

Post a Comment