Saturday, April 21, 2012

Barking Sands Cottages for Military

I was wondering about these cottages, and I understand they are for Military Person that are serving and have served, am I correct?



Barking Sands Cottages for Military


Better call and check with them.





We found that you had to be active duty, or retired, or medical retirement, or a dependant.





You can get a pass for $ 25.00, but that comes with restrictions. We were not told about that, and perhaps it did was not available.





We drove out the gate office. I had my DD-214, American Legion Card, and VA hospital I.D., and a copy of my honorable dishcharge.





No luck. The lady behind the desk, showed me a few sheets of I.D cards that were accepted. She called on the phone to higher authority, and stll no luck.



She seeme new at her job, was 100% polite and tried to help us.





Now, we usually have a plan B. Just in case we could not get on board the station, we had tossed our hiking boots into the trunk of the car.





We smiled a thank you, and headed up to sunny kokee to hike.





So, even tho I was a vietnam vet, I was not retired from the military, and we could not enter the base.





We had heard about the great gym they had out there, the cottages, and Shennanigans for drinks and food.





Hope their requirements have slacked up a bit, and you are able to get on the base.





Denny



Barking Sands Cottages for Military


Wow....You of all people I thought would have been able to get in....My husband was Navy for 6 years in %26#39;74-%26#39;80 with honorable discharge and I thought it said Active,Retired, Honorable Discharge with class status..I will have to do some more checking. Thanks Kalapakidooly




Check the MWR website for Hawaii. There is a link for Barking Sands. I%26#39;m pretty sure you have to be active duty, reservist, or retired to stay there.



http://www.pmrf.navy.mil/




Has anyone on the board stayed at or seen these cottages? My dad is eligible, and I suggested my parents look into it for a future trip. I%26#39;m just curious how basic they are (probably pretty spartan if they are like most MWR rentals I%26#39;ve seen).




I see where it says honorable discharge but have to have 100% disability with honorable discharge...



So if you have served it does not matter....



You must be active, retired or reserved...




Lab





WE have a friend whose hubby has a medical discharge and they stayed out at the base in the cottages.



In act , it wass at her urging that we went out there.





From what lisa told us, they absolutely loved the rooms, the beach, and had a wonderful time.





Jam,, thanks for the scoops. I really do not have a problem with their priorities, and agree with the way they have it set up.





I guess without the current procedure, they would be inundated with ex-military personnel to an overwhelming extent. The west side of the island would tilt, and slide into the sea.





Oh well, lot of other things to see and do here.





Good for the active duty and retired and medical discharge personnel....thanks to all.





Mahalo





Denny




Thanks, Denny. My dad is retired Coast Guard, and fairly low on the priority list for the various eligible ';patrons';, but at $80-85/night for a 2-bedroom beachfront cottage, it%26#39;s worth a try!




Denny,



You are absolutely right...The Island would be very lop sided if they did not have restriction...




Denny, Do you have any idea what the beach is like at Barking Sands in term of being swimmable or good/bad for snorkeling?





Thanks again,



Lisa






Aloha from Kaua%26#39;i!





Barking Sands beach and the adjacent beaches to it on the base are generally hazardous areas to swim in - while there are some good ';surf'; spots on the base, there really isn%26#39;t any safe swimming area and the closest snorkeling would probably be at Salt Pond Park in Hanapepe -about 1/2 hour away.





If you are on the base during the summer months, then you could also go out to Polihale State Park (about 15 minutes drive) and find ';Queens Pond'; - which is an area that forms during the summer - it is a large ';pond'; area that is separate from the ocean - a safe, calm swimming area very popular with local families. Wouldn%26#39;t be good snorkeling there though.





Malama Pono,



Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment